Monday 23 September 2013

I auction my clothes to my friends on Twitter –Vixen (you better follow her on twitter)

Where did the name ‘Vixen’ come from?
In the past, my admirers always told me
my eyes were mysterious and that they
had depth. I looked at them and shrugged
such statements off. But then, the
opportunity for me to have an alias came
and I thought about all what those men
told me those days -‘Wow, your eyes are
so deep! You have foxy eyes!’ I decided
that I would call myself Vixen. I couldn’t
answer ‘Miss Foxy’ or ‘Miss Catty’. I
decided to call myself Vixen, which by the
way, is a female fox. Vixen is also a lady
that is appealing. I have foxy eyes and I
am attractive, so I decided to go for
Vixen.
How do you cope with the male admirers
now that you are in the limelight?
No disrespect, but men will always chase
anything in skirt whether you are
beautiful or ugly. As a woman, you have
to prioritise. You have to be focused.
Personally, I don’t allow myself to be
caught off guard. Being in the spotlight is
a drama in the first place. I try not to give
in to male advances. I enjoy all the
advances, but I will not give in unless I
see you kneeling on your knees and
proposing to me with a ring, then I will
give you a second glance. I am not
distracted by men because I am a very
focused lady. Right now, men are a
distraction.
You seem to draw attention all the time.
Could it be because you are in the public
eye or does it have to do with your dress
sense?
If I were in my house, nobody would
know me. I would say TV has a lot to do
with it. I am grateful for the platform
television has given me. But then, I would
say my personality and my amicable
person come to play at every event. When
I am in a place, for some reasons, I
attract all sorts of attention because there
is this personality that exudes happiness.
It is not intentional, but I am a loveable
person. I am bubbly and I am fun. I like
to make sure people are happy wherever I
am. I think that is what attracts people to
me.
Apart from that, your dress…
That is true. My sense of style is
attention-grabbing because I put a lot of
attention into details. For instance, if you
didn’t notice this particular dress, you
would notice my long hair. I make sure
whatever I am doing to my appearance, it
is done to the T. I also have to look the
part. TV has branded me to a stage that I
have to present myself in the right
manner. Wherever I am, I know I have to
look good. I love fashion; there is no
doubt about that.
Have you made a fashion flop before?
I think I have. I wouldn’t be so arrogant
to say I have never done that. I have been
caught quite a few times. But the fact that
I am always well put together outweighs
my mistakes. At times, the mistake is not
even obvious because I try to look good
all the time.
Can you remember one flop?
I can’t remember any occasion I have
been caught off guard by the fashion
police. But I know I have made some
flops.
Do you go out of your way to look good?
I wouldn’t say that. I’ll say I pay attention
to looking good. Going out of my way to
achieve that will mean robbing the bank.
You are born with style. It is either you
have it or you don’t have it. I credit my
sense of style to my grandmother. She
was a stylish woman. She made sure she
looked fine all the time. I learnt from her
that as a woman, you have to pay
attention to the way you look. People see
you first before they hear what you have
to say.
Is there a particular designer that clothes
you?
I am thankful to a lot of Nigerian
designers in the course of my career.
They come to me with different outfits
and I wear them if they are my style. I
showcase them and sometimes, the
designers even offer me clothes. I don’t
think there is any particular designer I
wear all the time. I tend to style myself at
the moment.
Most celebrities don’t like to be caught
‘re-rocking’ a dress…
Whenever I am on the Red Carpet and
paparazzi take my pictures, I always say
‘chei! So I will not wear this dress again?’
The pictures will be plastered everywhere
including the Internet and magazines. It
spoils show for me. It is not that we don’t
like wearing a particular dress for more
than one event, but we’ll rather not do it.
So after spending so much money buying
or making a dress, you will not wear it
again just because you wouldn’t want to
be seen repeating a dress?
But you will abuse me if I repeat a dress.
People would write that we repeated a
dress. Because of that, I wear a dress and
since I know I will not wear it again, I
dash it out. I give my assistant my
clothes. I give to family members and
friends as well. But then, I auction my
clothes to my friends on twitter.
You love jewellery as well…
I’ll say I love statement-making jewellery. I
feel naked if I am not wearing a chunky
piece of jewellery. I always make sure I
wear one statement piece. It may be a
necklace or rings or bracelet, as long as it
is big and it is in your face. I can wear an
ugly dress but my jewellery pieces must
make a statement.
What about your hair?
I am a hair freak. I can change my hair to
short hair, to afro. I can be blond today
and wear red hair tomorrow. I love shoes
and bags. I don’t get to wear my boots in
Nigeria because we don’t have the
weather. Shoes make a statement.
Can you remember any fashion item that
you paid so much money for?
I am a very wise shopper. I will not buy
unnecessary things. As for designer
labels, I prefer them as gifts. For me to
spend thousands of dollars in a shop to
buy a bag that might catch fire tomorrow,
I rarely do that. I shop anywhere and I
make sure the price is worth it. But I have
a Louis Vuttion bag that I spent so much
buying. It was worth it.
Can you ever wear a subtle make-up?
The truth is, I don’t even like making up.
But because I have to go out and look
pretty and meet up with the expectation
of Vixen, then I have to make up. I am not
a make-up freak. It is not a big deal for
me. I’m more comfortable without a
make-up.
What can we never see Vixen wear?
I can never wear a lace wig. I don’t like it.
In fact, I hate it. It makes you look old. I
know some people are not blessed with a
full hair line. But some people with full
hair line go out of their way to shave their
hair line so that they can wear lace wig. It
doesn’t make sense. I can never be
caught dead or alive wearing a lace wig.
Why did you go into music?
Ha! Who told you? This is supposed to be
a secret. It is in the pipeline. I am
surprised you know it. I am hoping that
before the end of the year, we will release
one or two things.
So what happens to broadcasting?
Broadcasting will never be in the back
burner for me because that is the
foundation. While I am doing music, I will
have my TV show; I will do other things as
well. I am not abandoning broadcasting
for music. Music has always been a part
of me. I know it sounds clichéd but it is
something I was born with. I had my first
performance at the age of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment